Monday, June 18, 2012

June 2012

No apologies - just the new stuff!

Am back from doing the Bead and Button Show for the 9th - or is it the 10th year - for our guild, Glass Act.  Been home a week and feel like my feet are back on the ground.  No new travels until Bead Fest Philly in August.

But at least I can post a new piece I did. Yes, I have been inspired by my recent travels - it has taken some time to get my ideas translated into glass.

While in Santa Fe, I fell in love with the culture - of course. But in particular, the Story Teller figures which are traditionally made of local clay and fired in wood burning kilns.

This is an example of one made by the Jemez Pueblo I believe.  The figures relate to the oral tradition of passing down Pueblo history.

At any rate, I have been playing around with the concept, trying to make it my own.  It took some time and a lot of good glass gave it up for my research but here's one of my interpretations of the figures.

My little figure has the traditional 'maiden's' hairstyle, and is wearing

her turquoise jewelry.  I for course have used my artistic license.

I hope to eventually add the little children in some way but then it will go from a bead to a small sculptural piece.

She's about 3 1/2 inches tall and also has little sisters who are about 2 inches tall.  Hope to get some new pics taken in the new couple of days.

No, I haven't given up my Island Girls, just taking a break...

No comments:

Post a Comment